Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Beginning & Meal Planning: Week 1

After putting in countless hours drooling over Pinterest, I've made the executive decision to start recording all of the little tidbits of information I've discovered! Hence, this blog. I've done blogs before but haven't kept up with them. With my newly found free time, though, hopefully this blog will become a success!  It's going to be a work in progress for a little bit while I search the nooks and crannies of my memory trying to remember how to use  HTML codes and such. But, I shall be up and running soon!



So why not jump right in, right?

Alright, I take your challenge!

Since I've moved out of my parents house and in with my honey, I've been the designated cook. Woohoooo! (sarcasm) Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to cook and was taught by one of the most special and talented men in my life, my father, but sometimes I feel like I have run out of ideas, or I am too tired, or I'm feeling just plain lazy and do not want to cook. So to put some spice back into my life, I've decided to use the oh so wonderful Pinterest** to help me out!

Getting started has been rather challenging. I've never been the "Martha Stewart" type (if you can imagine learning from a man you'd understand why), but I've found that I do have the capability to become one. What a scary thought!

I woke up this morning with a vision of walking to the gas station, grabbing some coffee and the Sunday paper, and getting a head start on clipping coupons and making my grocery lists for the week. Did that happen? Heck no! I slept way past when I should have and ended up driving to the gas station instead. I did, however, pick up the paper and began looking through the ads.

My usual routine is to check out the grocery ads to the stores I shop at and make a list of what is on sale and then go buy those items. It dawned on me recently though, that I never really had a plan of what I would be making with my purchases. I just bought what was on sale and threw something together out of what I had. Having that talent is never a bad thing, but I'd find myself making two, three, and four trips to the store during the week to buy the few ingredients I didn't have for the meal I was planning to prepare. So today I decided to try something new!

I began by going through my Where's my apron? board on Pinterest and picking out recipes that I could actually make and would probably enjoy eating. I grabbed some of the honey's index cards (shh, don't tell) and began writing down the recipes so I could have them on hand.



Then I started making a list of things that I usually cook or at least know how to cook, even if I don't attempt to make them very often. After I finished up all of that, I began using my list to plan our meals for the week! I had one card for each day, Sunday through Saturday, and just started filling them in. Since I do all of the grocery shopping, I pretty much have our food inventory memorized. My goal was to try to use things that I already have so that I wouldn't be spending a lot of money when I went to the grocery store.

Here's what I came up with!


  • Sunday:
    • Italian sausage burgers 
      • Ground Italian sausage
      • Mozzarella cheese*
      • Spaghetti sauce
    • Loaded French Fries
      • Ore Ida frozen fries
      • Shredded cheddar cheese
      • Green onions*
      • Crumbled bacon*
      • Ranch dressing (to dip in)
    • Vegetable to be determined
  • Monday:
  • Tuesday:
    • Chicken Kiev
    • Rice
    • Green beans
  • Wednesday:
    • Beef roast
    • Mashed potatoes*
    • Mixed veggies
    • Mini Apple Pies
      • Pre-made crusts*
      • Apple filling*
  • Thursday:
    • Crock pot chicken tacos
      • 1 jar salsa*
      • Sour cream*
      • Tomatoes*
      • Shredded lettuce*
    • Mexican rice
    • Re-fried beans
  • Friday:
  • Saturday:
    • Roast beef sandwich sliders (using left over beef from Wednesday)
      • Hawaiian rolls*
      • Mozzarella cheese*
    • Cooked carrots
*The asterisks stand for the ingredients that I did not have.


There were a couple of important things that I needed to remember while creating the weeks menu:

  1. There were definitely going to be left overs from certain meals (ex. beef from Wednesday's roast). This is why I decided to use whatever left over beef I had to make sliders on Saturday. It gives plenty of time in between so we don't get bored with our food, too. You could also freeze whatever leftovers you had to use at a later date as well.
  2. Tuesday's and Thursday's my honey and I have night classes so whatever I planned those days had to be simple. I get home before he does so I have time to cook certain things before he arrives. That is why I chose chicken kiev for Tuesday & a crock pot meal for Thursday.
Then I got my shopping list ready and headed to the store! 
I picked up everything I needed, for the most part.


Here are just a few of the items I picked up today!

I will document my progress throughout the week and have pictures to share with everyone on Saturday! I'm crossing my fingers that everything goes well!

xxo
Brooke



**If you need an invite to Pinterest let me know and I will gladly send you one!

No comments:

Post a Comment